Thursday 3 November 2011

Less than 12 Hours ...

Yes, I'm up early, I can't sleep.  A few jitters are running through me ... I still have a list that seems to keep growing of things to do before I leave.  I must keep reminding myself to keep focussed and all will come together.

I can't believe I am actually leaving today.  It is going to be tough saying goodbye to the dogs, tougher to say goodbye to my husband and even tougher to say goodbye to my seven and eight year olds.  I have never been away from all of them by myself for more than four days at a time.  The comfort of having one of them with me will not be part of this adventure.  Making it tougher is that fact that I am so used to always having technology close at hand for the phone call, Skype, text and email.  Ahhh... that reminds me I must pack a Teddy Bear to use as my surrogate family:)

I am going to be heading into a world where technology is not the day to day norm.  I have been told not to expect much but ... what does that really mean to me?  Will I be able to connect to email and update the blog? Will my phone work? Can I manage two weeks without searching Kijiji looking for great deals?  How will I find the directions to the nearest Starbucks without my map app?  You will find out along with me ... will the Blog be updated on a regular basis?  I guess it's wait and see.

The gift bags to give to the children are packed.  I have beautiful Peace Cards accompanying me and some wonderfully written letters from some of my friends children to share with the children.  It is hoped that a few of the children living in the Mercy Touch Homes will write back.

Here are a few of the excerpts from the letters ...

In Canada we have some of the coldest winters reaching down to about -30 Celsius where I live.

Here in Canada people go up to grade 12 in school then onto university (even girls) if they want.

In Canada we have bears, moose, beavers, wolves, cougars and some other animals. What kinds of animals are there in Africa?

I keep trying to imagine what things will be like when I arrive in Africa.  I have looked at pictures but I am anticipating that different senses will be at work upon landing.  What will the smell in the air be?  Will it be quiet or loud?  What sounds will I hear?  As I look around and take in the landscape, people and animals what will I feel?  How will all that I am experiencing effect me?

Enough reflection ... I must keep working on my list of things to do ... focus!!

Have a great day and I'll try to keep you posted as we start our journey  ...

3 comments:

  1. Marvellous start to your blog Shelly! What an altruistic adventure you are commencing, and such an inspiration for us all. I am looking forward to tagging along with you.

    You shine!
    lots of love
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelly,
    My name is Erin, I'm Phyllis' daughter. Thank you so much for this blog, it will be a great way for my son's and me to keep updated on your groups adventures. Have a safe trip, can't wait for the 1st update.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on this Blog, Shelly and your tremnendous hard work and dedication in going on this great trip! I am following you in heart and soul every step fo teh way!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete