Wednesday 2 November 2011

Preparation to Leave Canada

October 30, 2011


I can't believe it ... only four more days until our Team leaves for Zambia and two days of travel to reach our final destination...

 

In preparation for the trip many things have been happening...

 

I think I have been poked and prodded enough times in the last few weeks to last a lifetime.  Who knew how lucky we are in Canada not to have to worry about Malaria and many other illnesses.  My emergency medical kit is now ready to go along with the various prescriptions that I will be carrying.  

 

Alexander's class and their buddies designed Peace Trees and made them into cards using water colours to give to the children in Zambia.  I recently had the opportunity to see the finished results and "wow!"  their finished products give off a peaceful aurora and are absolutely breathtaking.  The time, effort and care each child put into their card and the message they each wrote inside is meaningful and from the heart.   A big thank you goes out to the teachers for organizing and carrying out this activity in support of the Mission to Zambia.

 

To go along with the cards and an assortment of small items have been purchased and donated that will go into large ziploc bags.   A pre-Christmas celebration with a group of 100 - 160 children will be held at the Mercy Touch Farm.  Again with the support of the teachers and some of the children at Lauren and Alexander's school we all worked together to prepare the bags for their long journey across the ocean and three continents.  It will be exciting to see the faces of the children when we have our Christmas celebration and hand out the special gifts.

 

I have started my packing with the following goal ... "Pack lightly but bring all that I can."  This has come to mean to me ""... bring only what I really need ... and leave in Zambia all that I  can."  Any extra space in my bags will then be used to pack items that can be used by the children in Zambia.  These items will include the Christmas gifts for the Children's party, some children's clothing, inflatable balls, toiletries and any other miscellaneous items I think would be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment